Thursday, January 6, 2011

habit


vintage camel coat, aquascutum





the thought of drawing every garment i own is a terrifying one. it would be strangely fun if all my pieces were up and friends could dress me like a paper doll, but i don't think it would work. foremost, it's hard enough to dress oneself -- why would anyone want to style me? secondly, apart from me asking my roommate which tights go better with a given outfit, putting together my look for the day is an emotional, messy process.

i don't mean that it's messy in terms of a pile of clothes left on the floor by the time i leave for work, but messy in terms of layered references, signifiers, and personal jokes. hair and makeup are beyond me, but my outfit will suggest a lot about how i'm feeling and thinking and where i'm going. (this is true of everybody, but a few people are waaaaay more conscious than average.)

one reason this blog exists is because anyone around me knows i could rap about anything related to style, fashion, or design, et al until ears start falling off... and those people suggested i pull this blog together... because i don't really talk about fashion. despite the overstuffed closet that is prevalent in western culture, it's hard to find someone with a greater than passing interest. i'm not so much interested in parsing trends as much as a more sociological comprehension. (i'd love to have conversations regarding poetry and poetics, but that kind of nerd is even harder to come by.)

gosh. more on this when it's not 4am.

No comments:

Post a Comment