Wednesday, January 12, 2011

wear


this skirt is the most luxurious silk in an incredible, asymmetrical cut. i've only worn it once so far -- to the touro synagogue for yom kippur. i ride my bike every day, and i'm a little apprehensive about damaging it. it's somewhere between gossamer and parachute. the panel inset on the lower right side is such a subtle detail.




i'm trying to think of a celebrity or artist that died during my lifetime where i felt it more than alexander mcqueen, but i can't, because i tend to not care about people i don't know. with mcqueen, however, his output was so incredible (and i do mean beyond belief in terms of his prints, construction, and narrative). the kind of beauty that he created was just eviscerating, in the best sense. it's hard to come up with words to talk about someone that i admired so much, but i remember seeing his early runways and feeling an adrenaline rush of inspiration.  on portobello road, in 2004, i found a pair of pants (silver silk) for 8 quid -- probably my first designer item and still one of the craziest garments in my closet. this dress is my second piece of mcqueen, for target, under the heading of mcQ. i love that he did the did the masstige collaboration, and this was definitely the highlight, in gray and black silk. his team was able to translate their aesthetic and design to a low price point in a way that did justice to everyone involved.



there are so many things about this shirt that, on their own, would make me avert my eyes, but in concert, the red and leopard print and zebra print (on the back) and bracelet-length sleeves work so well. the loose cut anchors the excitement and skims over me in a casual way. i feel really happy when i wear this.



these are so easy and fun to do. maybe next time i will put an outfit together and depict it on a body, in a setting or scenario.


i love it when, the less time i have, the more i accomplish. yay for the return of time-management!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying these. I actually like looking at them as individual pieces and I think it's kind of interesting to take what I imagine are very bold pieces in real life and see them watered down.

    What are using to paint them? Acrylic? Water colors? Are they on canvas? I could easily seem them becoming post cards.

    Actually, that could be a wonderful advertising idea for work. Mass print postcard size flyers on cardstock and send them 'round the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete