Saturday, March 24, 2012

en passant


knocked out this portrait early in the a.m.
didn't sign it, i just realized.
putting shit on the internet feels weird, since people can just grab whatever images.
i mean, fine, there's no money to be made by it.
money has never been my motive.
which is sort of how i know i'm really privileged.


so, just another amateur painting of someone i don't talk to.
sometimes that is what remote viewer project is about.
a kind of meditation on things i can't grasp or see.


some quotes that crossed my mind while working:


“how do i know what i think until i see what i say?” -- e.m. forster. 


and


"to draw lips, the pencil has to kiss the paper." -- shua (my own friend said that? that shit is wise!)


to break it down, what i mean is there is a heavy concentration on the subject and an exploration of my own emotion. anything i paint or draw or write about or film is in some sense a self-portrait of my interior situation. sometimes my interior is really disappointing. sometimes the impulse is really good but the skills to execute it aren't there. there is serious envy when it comes to contemporary image-makers like james jean or christopher doyle. their grace and balance and conviction and scope of vision. i'm also envious of anyone that has oil paints and knows know to use them. (except i don't really care if you went to art school and learned how to technically paint -- that isn't as interesting to me, since i'm happy to meander along on my own. i don't feel like going to school for poetry improved my understanding of words/diction or ability to interpret.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment